November 8, 2009

I'm not a builder, but....

We've been doing work in the house....well, we've paid someone to do work in the house, i.e. paint walls, build cupboards, drill things into the walls.
There's one little project, however, which I started working on yesterday evening, and am slowly moving ahead with it -- and I would like to share it with you for this reason:

If you have a set of stairs (of similar structure to mine) that you would like to personalise, OR you need to cover the steps but are reluctant to paying out loads of money for materials and for someone to do the work for you, then here's the solution. And this is obviously just one of the many options, but it gives you the right idea of how it can be done. As I said in the title, I am not a builder....this should be an encouragement to all!

Ingredients:

- white cement
- glass pebbles, stones, mosaic pieces...whatever tickles your fancy!
As you can see in the photo I've done alternate steps for now, but the effect is very pretty, and much nicer than the ugly lynoleum. I'm waiting for these steps to dry to then do the rest of the steps.
Again, I am not at all experienced with cement or any such material, so it really is a fluke that they've turned out like this. If you're an expert, you won't need me to tell you (as I have learned) that the consistency needs to be smooth, but not too runny. If it's too watery then you'll get little bubbles in the cement, even when it dries, and this makes it less compact....mmm....I have one "bad step"....we'll see what happens.
I'll be back with some recipes shortly! Autumn is a great season, and some of my favorite vegetables are coming soon!

2 comments:

eugenia said...

ooooooh.. that's so pretty! it looks professional!!

Jeenal Mehta said...

that is so cute Chiara!!