May 10, 2009

Stevia...and my new Herb Garden

I mentioned my new plants, so here's a picture of them! They look so sweet!
On the far left we have Rosemary, then Sage, black Basil, and Stevia (on the far right).
bottom row is a sad...a sad what...I think it may be of the Orchid Family. Mr A...any hints on how to save it? And then a teeny weeny basil plant (that will be getting a partner soon).
They've completely brought to life the kitchen balcony.
I finally found Stevia plants at a gorgeous plant fair I went to on friday, in Milano. Oh, it was so beautiful! I just felt like buying all the plants, and then buying a house to put them all in! Anyway, these hard-to-find Stevia plants have finally been found, and I just hope I manage to keep them alive. I tasted a leaf even before buying them, and they are soooo sweet. I had to stop myself from picking at them on my way home on the tube. I don't think people usually munch on leaves directly from pot-plants while sitting on a train. Italians are weird: you can get away with having criminals in government, but God forbid you should munch on fresh leaves while sitting in a train!
Anyway, a big prelude to get to the point:
STEVIA: Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni.
It's native of South America, Central America, and Mexico, and it is a natural sweetener. There is lots of controversy about it because it could (and does) substitute sugar, without the ill-effects that sugar has on the human body....read more about it on Wikipedia....
I quote:
"For centuries, the Guaraní tribes of Paraguay and Brazil used stevia, which they called ka'a he'ê ("sweet herb"), as a sweetener in yerba mate and medicinal teas for treating heartburn and other ailments. More recent medical research has shown promise in treating obesity, high blood pressure, and hypertension. Stevia has a negligible effect on blood glucose, even enhancing glucose tolerance; therefore, it is attractive as a natural sweetener to diabetics and others on carbohydrate-controlled diets."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

chiara darling, herbs need plenty of picking soooo keep picking the leaves and eating them, they'll love you for it. they also love liquid seaweed food every month.
chris