May 10, 2009

Very Chocolate Vegan Cake


Cakes Cakes Cakes...does anyone out there understand the extent to which I am sacrificing myself to give you these recipes? I have already told you that the only other person in this house who could help me out in the consumption of these cakes is my mother...but she's intollerant to gluten!

Very Chocolate Vegan Cake (will post a photo of it next time I bake one, which will probably be soon...although some pumpkin has made its way into my fridge, so the Pumpkin and Chocolate cake may be next in line...). I found this simple recipe from the blog of Semplicemente Vera: here it is in English.

Ingredients:

- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder (Fairtrade is better)
- 2 teaspoons of yeast
- 1 cup of malt OR sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of rice/soya/almond milk (the almond milk goes quite well with the chocolate, but is more expensive than the other two types)
- 4 teaspoons of maize oil
- a pinch of salt
- AND (essential ingredient for me): dark chocolate: I like bitter dark chocolate (if you want to keep the cake vegan, that's the one you'll have to get. Check it doesn't have milk powder in it). Quantity? I use 3/4 of a bar of dark chocolate. You can either grate it or just cut it (cutting is easier and it comes out just as well, if not better, than if you grate it).

Mix all of the dry ingredients together: if you want to be fancy prancy, then sieve them first.
Mix all of the wet ingredients, and then guess! That's right! Mix the two mixtures together.
Preheat oven to 180 C, oil your baking tray, pour the mixture in....let the cake bake for about 40 minutes, but check it with a knife or tooth-pick before taking it out (to my bachelor friends: this means that if the knife is wet when you take it out of the cake, it's not ready...as if you'd bake a cake anyway!).

Enjoy! I think this recipe is also good if you want to make a sort of base cake to then cut in half horizontally and spread a nice home-made chocolate and hazelnut spread....I'm becoming more and more sinful by the day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

radhe radhe shaym melaady*****

ohhhhh this cake is diiivine!!!!!
just like you piyaaaariiiii!!!!!!

hmmmmm chocolate krishna cake prasad.....ohhhhhh radheee!!!!!!

love
vrajgopiXXXXX