May 12, 2009

Teeth and Tears

I have always loved going to the dentist...I know it may sound strange, but it's true.
And it is with great shame that I must confess the following: I went to the dentist today and cried. Why? Because he was manoeuvering in between two of my front teeth, and the one that I had broken (and then repaired) in a bycicle accident in Ecuador..well, it popped out! I think I was taken back to that moment, and started reliving the trauma, the nightmare of losing a front tooth! Childish, I know. To my defense, I wasn't weeping or anything, just a couple of shy tears rolled down, much to the amusement of the assistant dentist who said "Why are you crying? You'll be even more beautiful than before!". Yeah, like that's possible.

All of this drama to issue a word of warning: I have deleted the posts on home-made toothpaste and powder because bicarbonate soda is not good for your teeth. I was very enthusiastic about them because they really whitened my teeth -- but not everything that shines is a healthy tooth. Bicarb soda is highly abrasive and can ruin your tooth enamel...not to worry. I will try to find a solution that doesn't use the soda. Actually, does anyone know of what essential oil is good for your gums? I've apparently brushed my teeth with too much violence and my gums have suffered.


Back to dentists...and travelling: I went and fell on my face in a nasty bycicle accident in Ecuador (5 years ago), and had a lovely local dentist rebuild one of my teeth for the price of $20. (this little guy on the left is sort of what I looked like...except that I wasn't so happy). My friends, don't let the price fool you. I've had that tooth in for the past 5 years, and remained intact until 10:23 am today (more or less). So: may I advise you to take a trip to Ecuador to have any important tooth jobs done? My dentist was really lovely, very hygienic studio, and well...the price speaks for itself -- for what you're going to spend on dental care in your country, you may as well get a trip to Ecuador as part of the price).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cinnamon oil is good for gums (it is an antiseptic that helps kill the bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease) , and also aloe vera(Speeds healing of damaged gum tissus, counters infection, irritation and inflammation), tea tree oil(Helps kill infective microorganisms including those responsible for tooth decay and gum disease), Echinacea(tones gums and helps fight infection), mint(Helps tonify teeth and gums) and myrrh(fights infection of mouth and gums). Apple cider vinegar can be used for teeth whitening and gums infiammations. Bye and Good Luck with your teeth!
A.

Chiara said...

Thank you A! If you don't mind I would like to post the information you've given in an actual post, so that everyone will see it. The aloe vera: do you mean the gel directly from the leaf? Thank you once again!